The Castle of Grimani-Sorlini
Via Castello 21, Montegalda
Tel 0444 320854 (IAT Vicenza)
The undisputed symbol of Montegalda is the ancient castle which dominates the entire plain, one lucky survivor of the three manors, two of which stood in Montegaldella and Cervarese S. Croce. The building changed over the years and in the 18th century it was transformed from a military facility into a Venetian villa. Its foundation dates back probably to 1176, the year of the famous Battle of Lepanto, but in the courtyard a foundation of the Roman period was found, which anticipates that construction.
The castle is undoubtedly impressive, marked by three towers, a keep and the crenellated ring-shaped walls of the Guelph form, which would host the famous "trabocchetto" (trap door) to thwart the invaders. After the tyrant Ezzelino da Romano in 1300, the domain of the castle passed to the dominion of the Scala family of Verona and later, in 18th century it was transformed into a Venetian villa. The castle of Montegalda now seems to have regained its former glory thanks to a meticulous restoration, reflecting the still incredible charm and mystery.