Loghi

The Church of San Giorgio

Via Villavecchia 1, Castegnero
Tel 0444 320854 (IAT Vicenza)
Web
email This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it.

The Church of San Giorgio (St. George) dates back to the fifteenth century, with the interventions of the twentieth century. Inside there are eight paintings originally housed in the Oratory of the Rosary in Santa Corona. The altarpiece of Cristoforo Menarola painted in 1729 is a part worth noticing. Inside the building there is a precious Roman base plate with an engraving: FORTUNAI SATRIA Q(uinti) F(ilia) PROCULA V(otum) S(olvit) L(ibens) M(erito). This finding was consistent with a hypothesis that in this area there was a temple dedicated to the goddess Fortuna to whom Satria, daughter of Quinto, offered a gift, probably as a vow. The ancient castle of Castegnero stood in the vicinity of the church and today the only identifiable fragments are the remains of the bell tower.

 
veneto.eu

Initiative funded by the Rural Development program for Veneto 2007 – 2013 – Axis 4 – Leader
Organization responsible for information: Vicenza è soc. cons. r. l.
Managing Authority designated for the implementation: The Region of Veneto – Plans and Programs of Primary Sector Directorate

Vicenzae Soc.Cons.r.l.

Vicenza Unesco Site

Visit www.vicenzae.org,
the tourism portal of Vicenza
and its province.

Contact us

Vicenza è Società Cons.r.l.
Via Montale 25, 36100 Vicenza - Italy

Phone: +39 0444 96 43 80
Fax: +39 0444 96 43 79

Web: www.turismoterraberica.it

Facebook page

Google+ page